Young Isaac Burton Tigrett had graduated from Union University and was seeking employment when a group of local doctors and businessmen decided to organize a bank in Halls. Bank of Halls opened for business on October 8, 1899 in the rear of McDearman and Rhodes Grocery Store. Mr. Tigrett was the sole employee and was paid a monthly salary of $35.00, a sum contingent on the net earnings of the bank being as much. The safe, which was borrowed, at that time cost about $40.00 new. The accounting books and some stationery were the discards of Dyer County Bank. (These books remain in safe storage today.) Mr. Tigrett, the elected cashier, never failed to be paid and was just as economical in buying furnishings and fixtures as the directors had been in fixing his salary.
In the early days, Bank of Halls endured many harsh critics, but most eventually became friends and customers after acknowledging the bank's integrity and intrinsic strength. Off to a slow start in 1899, the bank, nevertheless, paid 13% dividends for 1900. The bank has never failed to pay dividends each year since its inception, and dividends for the first 36 years totaled 416.67%.
During the Great Depression-era federal banking holidays, Bank of Halls merged with Peoples Savings Bank, a newer bank in town, to protect the deposits of Peoples' customers.
During the presidency of D. R. Nunn, Bank of Halls replaced its original 1900 20-foot-by-90-foot structure with a new facility which was 40 feet by 90 feet. This building, constructed in 1950, continues to house Bank of Halls at Church and Main streets. An additional facility was renovated in 1986 and added to the bank during Warren Nunn's tenure as president.
Bank of Halls formed a holding company in 1986 and now oversees 16 banking locations in four western Tennessee counties. These financial institutions allow Bank of Halls to serve a greater number of customers and communities, as well as provide local employment.
The goal of Bank of Halls has always been to serve the community. Loyal customers have been our strength throughout these 100 years. Without them, there would be no Bank of Halls.